23 3 / 2013
When running a startup, time is everything. There are a million things you could be working on, but it’s really hard to figure out if you’re time is being used as effectively as possible. However, you can only actively focus on changing your processes and focussing on effective things if you know how long it’s taking you to do all the different tasks. This was one major struggle we had when we first started doing experiments with building our own products.
We tried to do time tracking against the experiments, but we had crappy tools, which meant nobody wanted to actually log time or we had inaccurately logged time. Time tracking became a chore instead of something strategic that brought huge benefits. It was an utter failure; we weren’t able to improve things since we had no clue what improved looked like in comparison to what we were doing.
Then we found Toggl (https://www.toggl.com/. It literally changed the way we looked at how to focus our efforts and made the crappy process into something nice and simple. Time tracking has been around for years, this was probably the first time we saw something well-designed and polished in that space.
- Easy and accurate task logging: you can just hit start and stop, or continue previous tasks. The simplicity allows the user to be much more inclined to just use the start/stop approach which means accurate times instead of going back and entering times that are guessed.
- Simple project and tagging options: This allows people to enter details required to analyze time really easily.
- Sync across devices: Usable anywhere there is a mobile device or internet. This means you can do easy tracking 24-7.
- Analysis features: Toggl comes with basic reports and filters that are pretty useful for looking back on your time. If you want to do anything more advanced, you can just export the data to excel or build things that pull data from their API.
- Multi workspace support: This is one of my favourite features. I can time track against the Latero Labs workspace, but also keep a separate workspace for myself where I track some personal activities.
- FREE! - The basic tier is amazing on it’s own. Any small teams or startups figuring out how to improve use of their time would have no excuse not to use Toggl.
How has Toggl changed our lives at Latero Labs? We can look at our experiments and figure out which ones the most cost effective for us in terms of time.
Time goes fast, and not having a clue of what you did as you burnt the midnight oil is no plan for any startup. So definitely track and review. Figure out if those in person meetings are better than Skype, find out if you spend too much time having meetings instead of working. Every hour you save is one more hour focussed on what is important. Use Toggl!